Wednesday, March 7, 2007

MMC/SD Mounting

Well, I've made just an infinitessimal bit more progress. I'm currently trying to boot the kernel compiled for the new Gentoo on Zaurus project (Russian link), but it's weird. I have to explain just a little about the pdaXrom bootloader (which I still have a bit to learn about myself).

pdaXrom beta4 and r121 (and presumably the elusive r179) use a bootloader called U-Boot, which is a universal bootloader for ARM devices. The only way to configure it is to hook up a serial terminal to the machine it's running on, so there's no way to send arguments to the kernel without said serial link. Both pdaXrom and the Gentoo/Zaurus kernel use a built-in feature that lets you compile as many arguments directly into the kernel as you like.

Now, from there, pdaXrom has an argument to boot from the internal flash. Gentoo/Zaurus boots from whatever is in the SD slot. Where it gets weird, is that it can only see the SD slot when the CF slot has a card in it. I have no idea why without hooking up a serial terminal (which I don't have) to debug.

And hey, it might just be my SD card. On the positive side, I have a kernel that boots. Now I just need an OS to load.

--Update-- Looks like it's time to compile my own kernel - I'll have to pass an init= value directly, which the Gentoo kernel doesn't do. Maybe I'll fix this whole SD problem as well.

No comments: